Monday 2 July 2012

sustainable mindfulness on a winters day

To whom this message in a bottle may reach. It has been about a month since I posted on my blog...a busy month. I have at last stopped to catch my breath, and notice my breath. Outside my window the rain is falling steadily, washing the trees and palms here to a brilliant lime green and the aloes hold orange torches along the driveway, thrusting them through the rainfall towards the sky. The heater by my side warms and comforts me. Its heat radiates across my back and holds me close like a comforting arm. I am grateful. I give intentional attention to a tv aerial far away. I then intentionally give attention to a ticket for entrance to the Basilica de la Sagrada Familia, on my desk. My mind wants to go there and the floods of memories demand attention. I delay focusing on them and I focus on my breathing. Disciplining my mind to do what I decide. Strengthening my ability to notice and engage what I decide to. I can choose to widen my awareness or focus it. My emotions do not dictate to me. This is freedom. This morning I mindfully ate my breakfast. I had toast with ginger marmelade and coffee. I consciously chewed each mouthfull and actually tasted it. Not anxious to move onto the next thing or to find an answer to this or that question. One thing at a time, mindfully aware of the present moment and fully engaged. This is how I do winter. It is fabulous. I appreciate being alive. Peace to you today. Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment