Saturday 7 January 2012

happy accidents

Hello again.
Today I am blogging from a house on Waiheke Island which is a short ferryboat ride from where I live in Auckland, New Zealand.  It is raining here today and I am seated in a pleasant room full of friends and small children. 
In front of me is a wooden feasting table.  It is actually a giant-sized table with giant-sized chairs, I imagine similar to the ones Jack would have found when he climbed the beanstalk to the giant’s house.   The small children here are dwarfed by the size.
The table is covered with coffee cups, candles, magazines, pinecones and folded sheets, in happy disarray…signs of life and living.  Even a bowl of seaweed, collected by a passionately excited three year-old, takes pride of place. 
 In this moment I feel wealthy, not in the monetary terms but rich in friendship and the blessed sense of the mundane.
My good friend is seated nearby at her computer engrossed in her poetic musings.
Earlier today I spent an hour experimenting with the “Paint” function on my computer.  It was interesting to notice how difficult it was to manipulate the lines and I remember again that mistakes can become ‘happy accidents’ as new images emerge from the background as if by their own volition.
It occurs to me that life can be like that.  Mistakes in life can lead to accidental discoveries that extend us and help us to grow.  Even when we have made choices that we now regret, no experience need be wasted.  I have often found that the things I discover accidently, alert me to different possibilities in life that I had not previously considered. 
A friend has encouraged me to be open to these possibilities rather than being closed and fearful of embracing the change that new awareness offers.
As I embrace this, it feels like freedom…
...it feels like hope…
Who wouldn’t want to share that?
If you find this ‘note in a bottle’, maybe it is meant for you.
I am casting it into the sea, from the shores of Waiheke Island, New Zealand and I trust that the tides will find you.

No comments:

Post a Comment